Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Beverly, the Indian Princess

Red Pointsettia


It is a sunny but brutally cold day. Cold makes me depressed and totally dysfunctional. Bell rang. The delivery boy handed me a package. I knew instantly it was a flower pot of red Poinsettia from Beverly. Receiving it lifted my mood. Beverly sends us Holiday flowers and Birthday cards every year, without fail.

 I have known this beautiful, grand lady for almost 40 years.

In my earlier years as new immigrant, I remember, we used to be part of her grand dinner parties. She intuitively used to recognize my discomfort at  being new to American food, culture and people. She would thoughtfully sit me right next to her husband, Herbie, who was very good at telling funny stories. He will very subtly and effortlessly put me at my ease. I loved him for that and many other things.

Not just us, but many of Gandhi family members  have been fortunate to know Beverly, enjoy her hospitality, grace and thoughtfulness.

Why do you love us Indians so, I have asked. Because, she says, there is Indian royal blood flowing in my veins. According to her, someone in her ancestry landed on Indian shore to spread the good word from Bible. One thing led to another; then, as the saying goes, "rest is history".

Indian royal blood or not, she truly loves us like a good Princess would love her flock. We are extremely thankful to have known her and be part of her family. We consider her part of ours.

We  love her dearly.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree! Growing up, we always had visitors at our home to a point where it was tiresome. Most often I didn't want to have to do anything with them but Beverly completely charmed each and every member of our home, so much so that we were actually saddened to see her leave.

    ReplyDelete