Saturday, December 4, 2010

English Language

I am not sure if the title fits.....

In 1976 or 1978 I had seen "Story of English" on PBS narrated by Robert McNeil. Since I love the language, I was captivated by the show and was glued to the television. What I remember is what a strong influence early Gaelic, Celtic languages had on the final English to be. How English has transformed through the times of Chaucer, Shakespeare and others. Many professions, even today, use English as the only medium of communication; Airlines, Stock Market  and such. Today several nations use their own versions of  English; USA, Canada, Australia, India, Jamaica, South African and many other countries where British had established their colonies.

It was and still is considered the language of elites.

Now, I am no linguist, nor do I profess to be an expert on English language. I merely amuse myself with some very close similarities I find in the sounds and meanings of certain words of English and the conversational languages we use in Northern  India. Most Indian words in the following examples have the same sounding first alphabet of the English words. Here are some examples:



English and Indian Words


No comments:

Post a Comment